On March 16, Semey Medical University held an online meeting with representatives of Shimane University (Japan) to get acquainted with the activities of Shimane University and SMU on Sustainable Development Goals. The issues of promoting the Sustainable Development Goals and further cooperation in the field of research were also discussed.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a set of 17 interrelated goals developed in 2015 by the UN General Assembly as a “plan to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all”.
The new goals and objectives are complex and indivisible and ensure the balance of all three components of sustainable development: economic, social and environmental. On September 25, 2015, 193 countries adopted the following 17 global goals:
- Universal eradication of poverty in all its forms
- Eliminating hunger, ensuring food security and improving nutrition and promoting sustainable agricultural development
- Ensuring a healthy lifestyle and promoting well-being for everyone at any age
- Ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education and promoting lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Ensuring gender equality and empowering all women and girls
- Ensuring the availability and rational use of water resources and sanitation for all
- Ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy sources for all
- Promoting sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Building strong infrastructure, promoting inclusive and sustainable industrialization and innovation
- Reducing inequality within and between countries
- Ensuring openness, security, resilience and sustainability of cities and settlements
- Ensuring rational consumption and production models
- Taking urgent measures to combat climate change and its consequences
- Conservation and rational use of oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Protection, restoration of terrestrial ecosystems and promotion of their rational use, rational forest management, combating desertification, stopping and reversing the process of land degradation and stopping the process of loss of biological diversity
- Promoting peaceful and open societies for sustainable development, ensuring access to justice for all and creating effective, accountable and participatory institutions at all levels
- Strengthening the means to achieve sustainable development and activating the mechanisms of the global partnership for sustainable development.
We hope for the development of fruitful cooperation between our universities.